Hello friends and family
The week began with another rescue trip to Moeraki, this time to rescue a seagull caught in a fishing line. It was a first for me as I was low on petrol so drove the car as an EV for the first time – there was no real difference in the driving experience so I will do it more often.
On Monday my new phone arrived, and I was able to set it up by myself, so feel very good about that. On Tuesday we released the last chick in care and picked up 2 pre-moult underweight passive adults. They will get tested on Thursday.
Wednesday was my day for a visit to the dentist, so I tackled the shopping list, picking up my groceries as a click and collect. I will have to do the banking next time. On Thursday we did the rounds and all the rehab chicks have fledged. We didn’t find any penguins needing help, but did find Mr 32 with his shortened flipper, happily moulting with his partner. Some of the failed breeders are coming in to moult but the main lot are busy fishing. They are going out an hour later than when they had chicks to feed!
Yesterday we caught and weighed Mr Flipper bird and he was 5.5Kg, perfectly okay with only a week to go to complete the moult. He has done well!
Have a great week!