Hello friends and family
The penguins are showing an interest in the nests so on Tuesday when we did the rounds, we began our twin recording system – electronic and written. It took us a while to get the hang of it, but soon we will all be able to enter the data with confidence. We have all the nest boxes and last season’s penguins already loaded into the app – we just need to add new penguins and of course, welcome back the old ones!
By Thursday there were even more penguins at home, warming up their nest bowls and looking very relaxed.
We had a couple of days with a cold wind and then it warmed up enough for me to put the Varroa treatment strips into the beehives. I am down to 2 hives, having lost 2 over winter. I will be clearing all the old boxes out of the shed and cutting the bee work right back. I am also thinking about giving up on Capsicums in the hothouse as they always get white-fly and I do prefer the sweeter bought ones.
This will free up space for native seedlings. I have collected seeds from Cabbage trees, native irises and Pohutukawa. I am also going to plant some Manuka seeds. On Wednesday I potted up 30 Kowhai seedlings and on Friday, 16 Kakabeaks.
Yesterday was wonderful – the sun shone and there were lots of penguins at home. We have activity at 31 nests down the hill and 14 at the Moeraki colony. My apprehension has turned to excitement!
Have a great week!