Hello friends and family
This time the week began with wet weather and so I shifted out to the garage and made 3 rectangular penguin boxes. When I get the correct ply, I will make some triangular ones. These nest boxes will spend the coming season in the aviary as rehab accommodation and then they will be relocated out into the Moeraki colony to house nests. I have poor to middling building skills but am very enthusiastic!
Hendrick visited on Tuesday. He is a new seabird technical advisor based in the Dunedin DOC office and brings a new perspective to our battle to save the penguins. What a great day! All that was missing was penguins.
On Wednesday I did a stint at the Toptip and went to Oamaru on Thursday. With the pantry stocked up again, I can relax for a while. Yesterday I got a call from Fleur – there was a stranded Juvenile YEP on the ramp. It was thin, exhausted and had a fungal throat.
By Lunchtime we had 2! The Hugo wing will be tested.
Have a great week